Saturday, March 10, 2012

The world is turning upside down...

My mother says there could be days like this... One day not long ago, it had been a pretty hectic day in my kindergarten and I came back and found the world globe turned upside down...it made me laugh so I had to take a photograph of it.. I love purple flowers and these alstroemaria with babies breath are a slice of spring on our dining room table- or at least until Mars the cat tries to eat them..
One of dear school colleagues recently brought me this lovely little wall hanging- She found it in her travels and said it made her think of me-- Wasn't that a lovely thing to do? I plan to hang it in my sewing room.. It says:" good friends are like quilts, they age with you, yet never lose their warmth"
There a number of quilt rings and forums around. I belong to one on Quilt with Us which can be found on the Connecting Threads company web page. It is easy to subscribe to - you just go to the freebies header and register on it. I chose to joined the Quilting Canadians group. Recently we decided to have a little fabric swap. A few packages have begun to arrive on my doorstep. We were asked to list some fabrics choices so I decided that I might need some neutrals and Christmas fabrics. The ladies did a fabulous job of choosing fabrics for me. Don't you love getting packages in the mail with fabric in them ?
You probably know that I love participating in giveaways(occasionally I host them too) Recently this beautiful bag arrived from Lila of Lila Tueller designs. She creates fabulous fabrics and patterns and recently had this wonderful giveaway. I am so looking forward to using this funky bag in the summertime. I love turquoise and flowers.
Look at these beautiful details she added to the bag- The carved button
and the grand toggles, grommets and beads.. I do love the bag and Lila's one terrific lady. Go and visit her blog and see her beautiful projects, patterns and fabric line..
Life has been pretty full the past couple of weeks. I finally finished my report cards this week. This morning, I went out to a memorial service for a work friend's father. After the service, I stopped to do some errands that needed to be done. I went looking for a couple of things for school at a local thrift shop. While I was there, I found these fun fish oven mitts. Don't you love those great embroidered eyes and the rich lush colors...They were a great price so, of course they came home with me..
I also came across these pieces of cotton and thought they would work great in some quilt. The light flowers are so airy looking- very pretty and the brown one will look great in a fall quilt..
Do you ever go seeking some inspiration in books or magazines? I recently ordered these quilt books for that very purpose. Connecting Threads often offers books for 40% off so the prices were very reasonable. There are some very fun patterns in each book- the trick is to just pick one...
Judy Laquidara of Patchwork Times has recently published a new book for creating pieced borders on quilts. She has a wonderful blog where she shares some of her cooking, quilting and knitting projects as well as telling about her life in Texas. I love her color choices and the interesting designs. Do go and check out her site- you are in for a real treat...
Here is the reason that I am looking for inspiration. I want to use these coffee cake batiks. The color palette is a bit limited but I am sure they would make a great pattern- I just haven't found it yet- Perhaps these books will help me get this quilt started...
In the meantime, I am continuing to work on the Sunset quilt- I have decided that I better trim the blocks so they will fit together more accurately.
Perhaps I will have finally chosen a pattern by the time of my next post.
The full moon is rising and the clocks are changing this evening to Mountain Daylight time. I hope to get some time tomorrow to quilt.. Springtime is coming to Alberta- maybe the world has found a way to return to its normal rotation...
Warmest regards,
Anna

11 comments:

Karmen said...

I chuckled when I read your cat might bother your flowers. My Joey is the reason I no longer have plants or flowers of any kind in the house. And, hey, I think I have some of that brown fabric in my stash. Lovely post. Karmen

Birdydownunder said...

lol well at least Australia was on top for a few hours.
I love Lillies of all kinds.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I actually love those batiks, you'll come up with the perfect pattern I am sure.

Meggie said...

You made me smile Anna! As you so often do. I love the fabrics and that bag is just so sweet. XX

Finn said...

Your springtime is coming blog post just brightens my day and lifts my heart. So many projects and such a busy life you have. I love the little wall hanging from a friend, and share the sentiment competely.
Spring has quite a ways to go here in my part of the Lower 48, altho we are enjoying record warmth for WI in March.
I'll be watching to see what you choose for your coffee cake batiks. Hope you are having a wonderful day. Hugs, Finn

Libby said...

Purple flowers are some of my favorites, too *S*
And I love book inspiration - especially at 40% off!

Unknown said...

I love your purple flowers too and spring. hugs

Dar said...

I'm always in awe at what you accomplish girl, but it is as they say, whoever 'they' are, the more you do the more you have time for...or something like that. You are one who fits that statement, dear friend.
Thanks for stopping by during your busy day. I'm afraid we will not have maple syrup this year if the evenings don't get colder. We have been blessed with one warm spring after our mild winter, tho.
BlessYourHeart

Purple Pam said...

I am sure you will find just the right quilt for those beautiful batiks in those great books you purchased. Love your purple flowers!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Congrats!! You won my giveaway. :o) I will be emailing you shortly to ask for your address. Yay! I know you will make something cute with Pee-Wee Parade, and I can't wait to see it.
xo
Kelli

Pam said...

Congratulations Anna and to Kevin and Roseanne!!
How long are they going to be in PEI?

Happy Easter!!
Hugs
Pam