Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sunflowers Everywhere


"Summertime and the living is easy, fish are jumping and the cotton is high"(lyrics from the song "Summertime" from Porky and Bess)".... and I am enjoying slowing down to a "dull roar" as my mother would have said to us, when we were children. The last days before summer vacation starts are always filled with the hectic preparations of trying to stop and start all at once.

At the end of the school year,one of the things that I like to do is find little things to say thank you to my colleagues for all their hard work and support. Using some glass beads, combined with stones,silver or crystal I completed six or so bracelets. Do you like to play with other medium to create things?

I enjoy playing in other things besides fabric sometimes- it is a nice break from the larger time commitment involved in quilting. I love wearing baubles and beads myself- a legacy from my beloved grandmother who always wore a strand of beads about her neck. Just call me Magpie- the girl who loves sparkly things!!!

Some very nice things happened to me at year's end. One of my students gave me this spectacular bouquet of roses- They were a most delicious yellow color with corally red tips. There were 2 dozen of them combined with babies breath. While they are beginning to look a bit droopy now 10 days later, they have filled our home with a lovely scent and a splendid splash of color.

A friend found me a new to me dress that was made by favorite summer dress company called Good Earth clothing. Unfortunately they are no long in business, but my friend chanced to find one in a second hand sale that is the right size for me. It is turquoise and has sunflowers all over it - it is indeed the perfect summer dress. I was thrilled with her find and thoughtful gesture.
It is not a party dress - more like a sun dress made of cotton and rayon- very flowing like a summer flower child . My husband found the small local store and bought me my first Good Earth dress about 10 years ago. I own a number of their dresses and live in them all summer long- no one is seeing my tree trunk legs!!!:-)

Do you like bags? Totes? My educational assistant K., is a wonderful seamstress. She designs purses and bags using recycled upholstery fabrics. As a year end gift, she created a bag for me, that has a wonderful double wedding ring motif on the flap. It also has a golden feather on it- at our school we award golden feathers to students who demonstrate four character assets- honesty, integrity, respect and humility. Thank you for this beautiful treasure, MS.K!
The lovely lady,D. who gave me the beautiful dress, also gave me a book by Patricia McKissack called "Stitching and Pullin". It is a wonderful set of vignettes in a picture book format about the women of Gee Bend and their quilting stories.

Do you love children's picture books? There are many picture books out there to explore and enjoy. Some titles you might want take a peek at include: "The Quiltmaker's Gift" and "The Quiltmaker's Journey" and "The Keeping Quilt" by Patricia Polacco." Another one is called "Oma's Quilt" by Paulette Bourgeois.

When you read ,do you choose fictional stories that have quilts in them? Some you may want to check out are the Earlene Fowler books that are the Benni Harper mysteries.Or How about Helen Kelley's collections of columns(She was a columnist from Quilters Newsletter magazine that passed away last fall. One of her books is entitled " The Joy of Quilting"?
Do you love to laugh- if so, you must read Lisa Boyer's books- one of my favorites is called "That Dorky Homemade Look"- Quilt Lessons from a Parallel Universe!!

What is a post without a photo of a quilt- though it was a near miss this time."Field of Sunflowers" is a disappearing Nine Patch quilt that I gave to a friend,E. who is having some health concerns just now. My hope is that she will find the bright colors warm her and brighten her days. Quilts are like big hugs, you know!

Last night I began to have serious problems with my own laptop computer( the black screen of death and no power- Aargh!!!!) so now I am using Bruce`s. It is a pain not to have access to my photos and addresses- I guess it is a sign that I am suppose to get other things done besides reading and writing blogs.VBG
We will see if they have to wipe my hard drive on my computer - if they do it will be a larger problem as it will be harder to find quilt photos to show you... We do still have photos on the camera chip but it will take time to reorganize them or scan ones that or not on the chip. It is a good reminder to me that I need to have a second copy on other storage devices.

I have completed the "Trip Around the World "quilt and will show you it next time.
My plan for this coming week is to begin a star quilt and have lunch with a couple of good friends.. and a visit to start cleaning in the basement...
Isn't summer time grand???

A belated Happy 4th of July to all my American friends- I hope it was spent enjoying good food and good times with family and friends..

Warmest regards,
Anna

14 comments:

mariekah said...

Did you take a picture of the bracelets that you made? They would be nice to see.

Wanda said...

What a wonderful "end of year" bouquet. I can imagine how pretty the colors were. I like your dress...I sort of live in a nightgown when it's hot. I understand why you live in such pretty, flowing dresses. I hope your computer problems get solved without losing all your pictures. Enjoy your week!

em's scrapbag said...

I like to play with beads also. I like wearing a braclet. Love the sunflower quilt.

Anonymous said...

i stick to fabric and am not crafty in the least. I wish I were but I just find fabric more soothing for some reason. My sister is an avid beader and knitter. I love your dress, flowers, and that bag is divine.

I love kids picture books but don't read fiction books based around quilting. I like historical quilt books though, around the lives of quilters past.

Micki said...

What a wonderful end of the year. The flowers are gorgeous!
Enjoy it all!
Micki

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Hey - thank you for finding my new blog. Let's make sure we stay in touch. What I should say is - if you do not hear from me send in the troupes because it means I am lost and don't know my way out of the internet place I have gotten into.

Happy summer!!!!!!

Ozjane said...

I just remembered that I planted sunflowers last year and guess they did not come up in the miserable drought...or my non gardener handyman whom I am trying to educate planted them the wrong way round somehow...too deep or whatever. We are laying it down ...the veggie garden..over the winter while he goes north to the sun for about 6 wks.
I bought all the goodie smelly stuff I showed in the blog and we got it all out today except for the sugar cane mulch on top.
So maybe I will try sunflowers again.

I love that bag that was made for you..just yummy.
Roses are almost smellable.
Wish we could go back to more lose caftan type flowing things in the summer. Blow showing off skinny belly buttons etc.

raining sheep said...

I love the dress...it is too bad that when you find a clothing label you love they go out of business or stop production. I have a girlfriend who likes to play with beads too and I have been a thrilled recipient of some of her wonderful pieces. I don't have time to learn, I barely have time to knit nowadays, but I give her socks and I get bling so it's all good.

Anonymous said...

Anna, sounds like you had a lovely end of the year and you read as very relaxed and in vacation mode. What a lovey gesture for your co-workers, I am sure they must think you are also very, very special.

meggie said...

Nice post Anna. Love the sunflower quilt!

Unknown said...

Here you are just talking about summer and we are well through it. I know you had a very late spring. Love the Sunflowers and your Roses Also that need puerse uour friend made for you.
So you also like to bead. My Artist GD in school in Phili. has made her own beads and now making some lucous earrings. I'll stick to quilting, thank you.

Aunt Spicy said...

Wow! What fabulous gifts of love! Glad the end of the year stash was everything you love!

Scrappy quilter said...

It was wonderful to hear from you. Love your blog. And that bouquet...incredible.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love the new photo of Dusty. He's a good-looking schnoodle, he is.