Monday, October 5, 2009

Just in case that you thought I had disappeared...



This is my god daughter' A's birthday quilt- in an unfinished state. I finished this quilt at the beginning of the summer and in the photos below you can see the quilt close up with its completed border and quilted.


Sunflowers was given to a friend who is dealing with some health issues. Both of these quilts are made using the Disappearing 9 Patch pattern.

Fabric choices make so much difference to the way a quilt looks.
In my god daughter's quilt you can see a more distinct pattern happening because of of the use of tone on tone fabrics combined with the the same central block so that it repeated.

I love the riot of sunflowers in the sunflower quilt but it is much harder to see the repeating pattern than can happen with the disappearing 9 patch pattern.

Which look do you like better? When you are making a quilt do you like quilts with overall designs or quilts that have repeated blocks? Do you like sashing between your blocks or the blocks sewn together without any separation?

This past week I have been busy doing some assessments with my students. It is a new testing instrument for me to use so it is a learning process for me.

Other accomplishments included finishing the baby wrap and making a couple of bracelets. I have cut out another baby wrap and am working on redrafting the pattern. For some reason the pattern keeps getting smaller and the babies are getting bigger so that is not a good. I hope to get a couple made on the upcoming long weekend.

The weather is turning cool and the leaves are beginning to fall from the trees. I am sure that GoTo the squirrel is grateful for all those peanuts collected earlier in the summer. I put on close toed shoes for the first time today- a sign of the changing seasons.

Today was World Teachers Day- a time to reflect on the work one does as an educator. Each day, I hope to make a difference in my children's lives- and each day I learn something new from my children. To me, that is joy of being a teacher. Happy World Teacher's Day to other teachers around the world- I hope you had the opportunity to celebrate being an educator.

Next Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving- I am looking forward to an extra day to spend with my son and some friends - My husband will be away visiting his mother and sister in Victoria. Perhaps there will be some time to get the yard and house cleaned up too.

Have a great week.
Warmest regards,
Anna

20 comments:

Purple and Paisley said...

anna, i love your god daughter's quilt! it is so interesting to see the pattern that emerges when you use the same central block? the sunflower quilt is sure to cheer your friend...ice job! ☺

Purple and Paisley said...

oops...i meant "nice" work...not ice work! lol!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

I like both quilts :0)

The job of the teacher is right next to the job of motherhood/fatherhood. I celebrate your dedication and love for the children in your care.

Believe it or not we are having fall here too. Maybe all of our whining worked, not. However, I chuckled when you said that you switched to closed toed shoes. We are on the verge of it here.

Happy Thanksgiving to you on Monday!

Quirky said...

Have a great Thanksgiving! Eat some turkey for me!

Rosa Robichaud said...

Hi Anna!

Remember - "Les goƻts ne se discutent pas." Tastes cannot be discussed. LOL

But, IMHO, I prefer a definite "picture" of the blocks. If I'm going to put the darn thing together, I want to be able to SEE my blocks! Whether it's a sampler or repetitive blocks ... I want them framed or SOMETHING! *grin*

Now, that being said, I just LOVE your sunflower one - it's like a HUGE explosion of sunny flowers! *VBG*

Tks for sharing!

Rosa

Scrappy quilter said...

I really like both quilts however your god daughter's would be my first choice.

I like sashing between blocks and usually white. I love how white makes other colors, even dull ones pop out.

I heard about World Teacher's Day yesterday on the radio and immediately thought of my Gr. 2 teacher Mrs. McGee who gave me the gift of reading. She was an incredible teacher. Our oldest son is also a teacher/vice principal and he has the gift of teaching. I knew from when he was only 2 that someday he would be a teacher. Reading your blog I firmly believe you're a gifted teacher too!! Hugs

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful quilts Anna. I definitely prefer A's birthday quilt!

Kim D. said...

Lovely Quilts, love the bright colors and polka dots in the first quilt.

Tanya said...

My, what different looking quilts! I have some of the sunflower border fabric myself. I used to be very into putting sashing between blocks and making traditional style samplerish quilts but recently I am leaving out the sashing and going for more movement. I'm trying to use more batiks and solids in hopes of make quilting spaces so maybe I'd go for the less busy quilt.

Gari in AL said...

I have done 4 D9Ps, one with sashing and three without: I liked them both ways. What I like about this technique is that it looks different no matter what you do with it. I have never done a scrappy one but that is in the works because it, again, will look completely different from all the others. this is the technique I use for most of my charity quilts. Your quilts look great!

QuiltSue said...

Amazing how different the 2 quilts look cos of the fabric choices. i love your god-daughter's one.

YankeeQuilter said...

I like how the disappearing 9-patch looks different every time I see it made. Good questions on design...I think it differs based on the fabric and the blocks..oh ya, and how much time I have to get it done!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Purple Pam said...

Both quilts are great, but I think the sunflower quilt wins my vote.

Lately I have been leaning towards quilts without sashing. I have a quilt book with beautiful quilts where the sashing is the main focus of the quilt, and the blocks are the minor players. So, I guess it depends on the type of quilt as to whether is works with sashing or no sashing.

Anonymous said...

Oh. Wow. WOW. Oh.

Ohhh. (I have a degree, can you tell? )

Micki said...

They are lovely quilts, and you did such nice work!
Micki

Meggie said...

These are both lovely quilts. You can be very proud of them. If I was choosing, perhaps the God daughter's would appeal more, but they both have wonderful charm.

Barbara C said...

It's amazing that both quilts are from the same pattern. They're both so beautiful and so different.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy World Teacher's day. Enjoy your long weekend.

Pam said...

Hi Anna

I love the sunflower quilt!! If that can't make you feel better nothing will :))) I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving holiday. I worked all weekend but I cooked a turkey yesterday and we had a lovely meal in the dining room!! Yes we actually ate in the "real" part of the house -LOL

Have a good week at work.

Kim said...

Such a fun quilt for your god daughter. It's very much fun and lively!! You did a great job of it. :O) All of your quilts are so pretty...
:O)

Wanda said...

both quilts are so beautiful. So different and such different colors. What great creations