Thursday, October 14, 2010

Time to Contemplate....



Some days I am struck by how much can happen in one day- sometimes it is a series of a little things and other times there are major events.

The world has been watching the miracle that has happened in Chili- What a wonderful thing that they were able to keep those miners alive and have brought them back to the earth's surface. I wondered how did those men hang onto hope and the belief that they would some day feel the sunlight and the hugs of loved ones.

Today I am feeling a bit reflective about the fragility of life. I have some friends and family who are dealing with loss and serious illness. I wish that I could find words of comfort that could ease their grief and loss- life can be cruel.

When we were in the mountains of Jasper in the summer, my spouse took this photo of me. We were awestruck by the beauty of Mount Edith Cavell. The Canadian Rockies are truly majestic. You can drive up the mountain of hairpin turns and stop to view the vistas. The mountains are a wonderful place to pause and reflect.. It was very soothing to stop and contemplate the beauty of the surroundings. Do you have a place where you can go and enjoy a reflective pause?

For six weeks this fall, I am participating in a book study group that is reading a book about using philosophy to help children develop critical thinking skills. It is an interesting study and asks questions like "are children philosophers?"
How do we help children continue to ponder questions that do not have right or wrong answers?
How do we help fuel childrens' natural curiosity?

I can tell my life has been busy because I have not been able to spend time writing or reading in blogland. There has been a wonderful blog festival fall into fall that is over tomorrow. If you hurry, you might be able to check out some of the wonderful blogs and sign up for some terrific giveaways.

Here in Canada, we celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving this past weekend.

My husband was away visiting his elderly mother. I made this texture quilt for her a couple of years ago. She has Alzheimer's and is well cared for in a seniors home. She recently had her 88th birthday. Ami Simms is the founder of the Alzheimer Art Quilts Initiative that has raised money for Alzheimer's Research. There is a powerful book and show called "Forgetting by the Piece". Do check out her website.


Last weekend, our son Kevin, his girlfriend Roseanne, and I went to visit my parents and enjoyed a scrumptious Thanksgiving dinner and all the trimmings with 15 family members. Nearly two weeks ago, one of our nieces, had a new baby girl,W. who is beautiful.
New babies need quilts don't you think? I made a quilted baby wrap for her, which I unfortunately, neglected to photograph- Perhaps one of my family members will send me a photo to post.

While Bruce was away visiting his mother I did attend the Kaffe Fassett evening. This link takes you to his home page.

I loved seeing some of Kaffe quilts and needlework and enjoyed hearing him talk about his process. There was certainly lots of beautiful forms of needlework and patchwork to enjoy. I asked him if there ever could be too much color and his reply was a succinct "No". He graciously signed my books and I went home inspired by all those rich colors.

I also had the opportunity to meet with good friends for dinner a couple of times last week. We enjoyed some delicious meals and delightful conversation.

The week passed very quickly- it was the first week that I had lived in our house by myself, as our son has been living away from home since last spring( well we still have our cat and dog).

In the meantime, I have been very busy at school gathering information for fall assessments and reports. I sometimes forget how busy fall can be.

A lovely lady named Marc sent me some wonderful Aunt Martha embroidery transfers. She was cleaning out her sewing area and wanted to give them away. I was the fortunate recipient of them. My mom did many beautiful embroidery pieces so the transfers bring back many wonderful memories. Thank you so much Marcia. They are really lovely.

Thanks to all of you who left such nice comments last time. My lost tooth did not cause me any grief- I am really fortunate-

Thanksgiving is a time for giving thanks - Today I am particularly grateful for all that I have... and taking a bit of time to contemplate life's rich gifts. I will return when I can- perhaps with a little more quilt content..
Warmest regards,
Anna

9 comments:

Orcsmom said...

You are so right, we do need to take time to reflect, it is so important. I am glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving. You class sounds very interesting and I am anixous to hear more about it. Stay well my friend! Hugs!

Pam

Michele Bilyeu said...

You remind all of us, dear Anna, of the beauty and the peace that can come with quiet contemplation. I don't think it is accidental that your school work requires so much individual assessment. As a teacher you are both caring, bright, hard working and reflective of how all of yoru choices might lead to different actions and outcomes. I can see that, because I see it in you and all you write and do, here. Fall is a time to sit down, relax as we can, and truly dig deep and look at it all...the positive and the negative. Hugs to you, dear friend.

Unknown said...

A wonderfulpoat Anna, and nice to see your picture. You are so right about taking time to enjoy the world around us. Wonderful quilt for your Mother-in-law. Nice that you husband took some time out to visit. It will do him a world of good.

Enjoy the fall with your school children,

annieb said...

Thanks for your thoughts on reflection. It is and should be such an important part of our lives. My favorite places to reflect are in the mountains or by the ocean.Something about the beauty of nature that causes me to stop and ponder life

Micki said...

Wonderful post! I loved that quilt for your mom...it was stunning.
Micki

Jo said...

I always think the Autumn is a perfect time for reflection - just the beauty of the richly burnished folliage is enough to make us pause in our busy-ness to enjoy the beauty displayed. Its a time too to celebrate previous achievments and to prepare for the months ahead. As you can probably tell, anywhere where I can contemplate nature in all its intensity is perfect for me!!

I'm pleased your missing tooth is now fully healed. You will be much in my thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks, with all the busy-ness of this time in the school calendar... if its not assessments and reports its preparations for the many festivals/celebrations that happen this term, not least Christmas itself.

Wow, the philosophy project sounds fascinating. I've used 2 wonderful books with my classes by Robert Fisher: Games for Thinking & Stories for Thinking. Children's capacity for reflection and deep thought is amazing when given the right stimulus and 'scaffolding' too. We also used de Bono's 'Thinking Hats' a fair bit too.

Oh wow, Kaffe Fassett - my hero!! I just LOVE his work and passion for rich colour. I remember years ago going to one of his talks and exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum but on knitting - had me completely enthralled and captivated.

Thank you for blessing us with this wonderfully reflective and contemplative post, Anna.
Wishing you much joy, my dear friend.
Hugs xxx

Barb said...

You certainly had alot to reflect about, loved the picture of you. What a wonderful quilt for your mother in law..... babies are always fun and renewing.

Mary L. said...

What an eloquent and lovely post!

Fenland Textile Studio said...

I too rush around and sometimes feel like I am on a treadmill. I think you are right that everyone needs time to stop and become reflective. I went out and sat with my goats today and just listened to the birds.I am lucky to live near a bird reserve so the geese fly over very low this time of year, you can actually hear the flap of their wings.Glad to hear that you enjoyed Kaffe Fassett. Hugs Angela