Sunday, November 14, 2010

November Ramblings...

So how is life everyone..... Are you getting ready for Christmas? Is it getting cooler and the snow arriving in your neck of the woods(for my Northern Hemisphere blogging friends)? Here in Edmonton, we had one snowfall that has melted away but this weekend has been cool and grey. The sky looks threatening- I guess I will have to put away my open toed shoes soon. LOL

One of the things my husband Bruce often does, is bring home flowers when he goes grocery shopping- The newest flowers were red carnationa and a stem of orchids - The orchids are actually white and deep red purple, and have graced the table that I have been working on, for most of the past couple of weekends.

For me it is that time again where I worked on report cards for school. The flowers looked beautiful and gave me something to enjoy viewing when I needed some time to reflect on the writing.

Once I had completed some of the report writing, I thought about other things that I have on my plate to do before the Christmas season is upon us. One of them is a small quilting project. I went looking in the stash of fabric for some pansy fabrics. A quilting friend very kindly had given me some pieces for this particular project. I am very grateful for her generous gift, because as I dug through the boxes of beautiful fabric, I found many beautiful pieces of batiks, tone on tone, stars and other floral fabrics but very little pansy fabric.

I have read a few blogs lately that showed some new fabrics that others had added to their stash. I am trying to use my stash when I can, rather than buy new fabric. There are many beautiful pieces up there just waiting to be made into quilts. Do you collect lots of the same kind of fabrics and not much of other kinds? How is it that I can have boxes of one type and only a half a dozen pieces of another?

Choosing a pattern was also a bit of a challenge as I usually make bed quilts. I found the pattern for these bargello placemats in this older issue of Quilter's World.
Here you can see the original pattern called Land and Sea bargello placemats.
I do love the color combo that they used. I am not sure how well it will work with the pansy fabrics, but we will soon find out.

You can see the strips laid out on the table. I am still trying to figure out if this is the sequence that I want to use for the place mats. I can't decide if I want to include the bright yellow strip or not- I am wondering if it is going to be too jarring to the eye?


A friend at work asked me if I would make her some bracelets for her to give as Christmas gifts. These were today's creations- If you are wondering why they still have loose wire, it is because I want to check and see if they all fit, before I cut the wire and finish them. She will not want all of them, so I have a start on some Christmas gifts as well.

The one bracelet on the left that has bigger beads, is for me- I bought some Christmas beads and got them strung in time to wear for this Christmas season. Wahoo..

In between report card writing, we had the opportunity to take in some great music by some local musicians who participated in an event called "Homefest". The purpose of the event is to raise awareness of Homelessness in our area. We have attended before (3 other times). Each time we have enjoyed the music and been moved by the stories shared by the people willing to share their challenging circumstances. Affordable housing is a difficult issue for many people in the current economic times. It is particularly daunting in our winter climate.

Later last week, Bruce and I went to hear a lecture at the local Art Gallery about the work of Henri Matisse. I found it interesting to see this week,that Hancocks of Paducah was advertising a new line of fabrics " Vie en Rose" by Alexander Henry that use Henri Matisse works as inspiration for the line.

I am still wanting to finish reading all the quilt stories from Amy's blogging festival. The icon at the top of my blog can take you to Amy's festival where you should be able to view the quilts. There were 649 quilts in the show- so many magnificent pieces...

This next week there is still some paperwork to be completed for school. Hopefully next weekend I will take out the winter village to decorate the sideboard. The days seem to fly by at this time of year, with lots to do and not enough time...Christmas is coming...

Hope you all are well and getting some time to create and enjoy life.

Warmest regards,
Anna

10 comments:

Orcsmom said...

I am in awe of all you get done with your busy schedule! You are an a very inspiring person! How thoughtful Bruce is, to come home with flowers. I have been trying to finish up some stitching projects and hope to have pics posted soon. Until then, take care, and hugs!!

Pam

Vicki said...

How nice to get flowers from you hubby, he is very thoughtful.

Interesting you comment on collecting fabric an how you can have boxes of a certain type of fabric and not much of another. I suspect that stashes are made up of either fabrics that we love the most and/or fabrics that we tend to use the most in our projects.

I for one love batik fabrics and have 3 boxes of them, yet several times I have had to go any buy more because for a praticular project I still didn't have the right colour in my stash LOL.

FlourishingPalms said...

Hi! In my humble opinion, I think you should keep the yellow in your piecing. It's not that bright, and should keep your color combination more interesting. Toss out all notions of "match-y, match-y" that keep you confined in your color choices.

Your beading is beautiful. I'd like to get into it myself if I didn't have so many quilts on my want-to-make-before-I-die list!

Have a lovely week!

Thimbleanna said...

Sounds like you've been really busy Anna! Like you, I try to use the fabrics in my stash -- but I'm not very successful 'cause I keep buying more LOL! Love your pretty bracelets.

Michele Bilyeu said...

It will be fun to see how the placemats turn out. I know she will love it no matter what and I think its great you're going out of your favorite comfort zone. Your jewelry, as always, is beautiful!And the flowers? We are all so jealous!!Kudos to Bruce big time.

Nicole said...

Your bead work is beautiful! Now I have one more craft to add to my list!

Deborah said...

Lovely post! All of your accomplishments are inspiring. The bracelets are beautiful.

Meggie said...

Your bracelets look lovely.
You do seem able to get so much accomplished!
Hugs and thanks for the Lovely Emails.xx

Micki said...

I love the flower tradition! Your breacelets look wonderful.
Micki

Ozjane said...

what a lovely floral tradition. Keep that man...
glad you got the dreaded reports done.
Do you have enough pansy fabrics. I have a huge create if you need more.
Love the bracelets...U clever clever lady.
I am attemtpting to pack up shelves to put out Christmas stuff.....slowly