Sunday, May 15, 2011

Amy's Blogger Festival May 2011

Bargello is one of my favorite techniques. This quilt is called the Long and Winding Road and the pattern was in a magazine called "The Quilter" around 2003. I love how the design moves across the face of the quilt. This quilt is a queen sized quilt that is machine pieced and machine quilted. I usually meander quilt my quilts and these bargello quilts are no exception. I have a very nice Babylock quilting machine that is one size bigger than the standard domestic sewing machine. The bigger aperture and extended table gives enough space to quilt even a large quilt.

Often when I am choosing the fabrics for a quilt I have a difficult time limiting my choice to one color variation. I liked this design so much that I made two versions- The pink version is owned by my sister in law and the blue was used to help in a fund raiser for my son's Boy Scouts group. So which do you like the better - pink or blue? I still can't decide- Pink???
Blue?????


Recently my husband Bruce, was writing an article for an astronomical journal- He used this Long and Winding road quilt to illustrate the slight variations of an Eclipse Saros cycle. The length of the 18 year cycle is slightly variable,stretching in some places and compressing in others.

There are so many beautiful bargello designs- Some designers you might want to check out include Chris Timmins of Australia who has some marvelous Twisted Bargello patterns and Derek Lockwood of the USA. Derek's patterns are gorgeous too- I have not made any of his yet but, I do own a couple of his wonderful creations.
Another designer is Heidi K. Farmer, who designed an absolutely stunning Bargello heart pattern that I made as a wedding gift for a dear friend a few years ago.

Amy of Amy's Creative side is hosting her Spring Blogger's Festival. There are many stunning quilts to view and interesting quilt stories to read.
I hope you enjoyed reading about bargello quilts and will return again.
Enjoy the Festival
Regards,
Anna

24 comments:

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Bargello scare the you know what out of me I have had a book of instructions for 8 years and I am so afraid to attempt it.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

your quilt is beautiful!

Esther Aliu said...

Love your pink bargelo quilt...
design is beautiful.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Wow, Just amazing!! They look so tricky. It's wonderful seeing them in two colourway but I can't decide which I like better. I like that your husband used the quilt to illustrate a scientific paper. Thanks for sharing this with us.

QuiltSue said...

I have made one bargello quilt, and swore that I'd never do another. So to see that you've done 3 at least is just amazing.

Unknown said...

I find bargellos to be completely mesmerizing. I will just stare at them trying to figure out how such a complex design is possible. These are no different. Hats off to you. Such and endeavor takes mad skillz!

Kriza said...

lovely quilts, all of them! great work!
Kristina
www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

lovely quilt..I keep saying I will make one some day; it hasn't got here yet....lol

Lori said...

Simply Gorgeous and mesmerizing pattern..WOW!

Lori said...

Simply Gorgeous and mesmerizing pattern..WOW!

MWalker said...

Beautiful! I love it!!!

deb said...

wow so beautiful!!!! LOVE the pink one!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's a tough call, but I think -- PINK!

stitchinpenny said...

My favorite of the colors is blue since in this case it is calming and and seems like waves to me.

merrily row said...

the pink bargello is gorgeous and thank you for providing sources. I enjoyed your entry.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, you are so clever, you know, Anna.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Those are all gorgeous!!!! But I must say seeing kitty peeking out from the quilt in your header absolutely stole my heart!!!

Barb said...

Your quilts are sooooooooooooooooooooo amazing!!!

Karen said...

Your quilts are stunning. There is so much work involved. Love seeing the colour variations.

Elizabeth said...

Those bargello quilts are simply amazing. I think I like the blue best. I'm like you -- I have to try out multiple color and fabric combinations when I come upon a pattern I like. One just isn't enough. Beautiful work.

xo -E

Anonymous said...

I just adore the effect created by patchworking a Bargello design.... the effect is truly incredible! Love both the colour-ways!
Hugs xxx

Kay Lynne said...

Wow--your quilts are beautiful! My mom has done a few bargello quilts. I think I will have to try one! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

These are absolutely gorgeous! You do beautiful work! :)

Purple Pam said...

Your bargello quilt is wonderful. It makes me a little dizzy, though. I want to do a heart bargello. I have the pattern, just not the guts!