Friday, July 8, 2011

I've started .....

It is windy and raining outside today. We have already completed the first week of my summer break. I don't have much to show for my week. I have spent my time searching the magazines,patterns and books for a quilt pattern to make a quilt. After much deliberation and scouring stacks of patterns I checked out this book off my book shelf:
This book was a gift from my brother in law a few years ago. I love looking at Kaffe's books just so that I can drool over all the beautiful fabrics. Inside I found this pattern called ""Mossy Radiation and thought it work quite well with my group of fabrics:
Earlier today I started pressing all the fabrics that I have, that were music related fabrics. It took awhile but if a girl wants to accurately cut the fabrics then one better press the fabrics. Some of the these fabrics came together in a bundle that I bought when Carolyn and I went to the guild show recently. They had a nice little market mall with the show. (Check out Carolyn's blog if you want to see some of the things she found when we went to the Guild garage sale. After a bit of playing and auditioning fabrics, I made the center block followed by a bold musical print for a border.( I wish I had a little more of those bright musical notes)

Next step was for me to cut many strips and lay them out in a sequence. Now I have to decide whether I want to add red and blue strips or to use just the neutral prints and only have the bright colors in the borders....

You can see that there are lots of black, grey, cream and white combinations in the strips and only a couple with colored backgrounds. In the original design Kaffe Fassett used gradations of color but added a couple of zingers in it..What would you do? add color or just go with neutrals and then have more colorful borders ?

I do have a bit of color to add to it but I haven't decided whether it the bright print will only appear on the back or if it will put in an appearance on the front.

In the meantime, I have been trying to stay dry as the rain has pelleted down today. The weatherman is predicting more rain this weekend. In between times, it has been very hot and unfortunately very buggy ( swarms of mosquitoes- you need bug spray just to get to and from your car) Bruce and I went out to a local restaurant with some friends last night but decided not sit on the patio because of them) The mosquitoes do like to exact a donation of blood - biting little critters that they are...

I have read a couple of books this past week- "The 19th wife" and " The Sky is Everywhere " by Jandy Nelson. I just got " A Vintage Affair " as well as Sarah's Key from the Library. I also got a few books from Amazon but they are mostly professional books with the exception of a book called "The Help". I highly recommend reading it, if you haven't already. The movie is suppose to come out next month. Kathryn Stockett is the author of the book " The Help."

On Tuesday, my friend Lou(no blog) came in from her cottage on the lake. Off we went on a local shop hop. I found a few things but mostly we enjoyed some time catching up with one another. Don't you love spending time with good friends - its one of life's special gifts!
In blogland, some blogging friends are off to Sisters Oregon to see the annual quilt show. What fun those quilters will have seeing the Gee Bend quilters and viewing some great quilts from around the US. Watch for posts about the show - Valori Wells will share her photos from the Sister's show that she and her mother Jean have worked together to put on for many years now. Perhaps some day I will get there- They bring in such wonderful quilters to share their passion for quilting.. It would be a great place to find inspiration..

Do you dream about attending an internationally known show or festival like the one's held in Paducah, Houston or Sister's? What makes a great show for you?

Happy quilting,
Warmest regards,
Anna

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Went to Houston last year and would love to go to Sisters next year.
I enjoyed everything about the trip, we went to the show as well as shops, museums and quilt study centre.
Great time was had ...

Christine

Barb said...

I have never been to one of these big shows.....maybe one day.

Love love all of the fabrics...

Ozjane said...

Looking good and reminds me now that I have given my music quilt away I have heaps of fabric too make one for me. Shame you are not around the corner and we could share.
I am ready to put the borders on the quilt that has had me in deadlock all year. And have actually started on a couple of blocks to be replaced in a block swap one,then I can finish that......then I saw a 4 patch demo on Missouri Star Quilting and thought that was a good idea.......LOL.

Thimbleanna said...

It looks like you are well on your way to making another beautiful quilt Anna. Have fun!

uhooi said...

Uhooi,,
Wow,, This is a creative and good work,,

Uhooi.blogspot.com

Vicki said...

I really like that quilt! I say add the color.

Perry said...

I like the quilt you are working on. I would add a touch or two of that color on the front. It gives the quilt a zing I think. Sounds like you are having a fine time while school is out. Wish we had some of your rain here, it was only 110 yesterday. Everything here is parched. I would love to go to Sisters someday too. Have been to Houston several times and it is kinda fun.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good show for me?

One where there are lots of quilts displayed at full size and eye level, enough room to move without being trampled or being in someone's way no matter where you stand, being allowed to take as many photos as I want, parking that doesn't force you to walk a mile before you ever get to the quilt show, access to food and water without horrific prices and long lines, plenty of ladies rooms that are kept clean ... and, in a perfect world, within a day's driving distance so no excessive vacation time from work is required.

deb said...

Love your choice of that quilt...cant wait to see the finish!!!
I read the 19th wife too...and I agree about the Help,,,cannot wait til the movie comes out!!!!!
oh I remember all the mosquitos in Mn. where I was born....lots of OFF!!!!!!

Valentina said...

Hi Anna! Wanna trade some rain for sun? :) I'd loooove to! :) What an interesting quilt you are working on: I really like how your sequence reminds me of the keys of a piano, how very appropriate :) and it would be fascinating to see an explosion of colour of the other borders: showing how music affects us all. Love it!
No, I have never been to a big show at all, and think I would just be overwhelmed by it all. I get over-inspired just visiting blog-friends! :) But my dream is to one day have the chance to see antique quilts first hand: I think that day I'd feel I died and gone to heaven!
Sending you a big hug and loads of sunshine,
Valentina in Cyprus