Sunday, October 30, 2011

Amy's Fall Blogger Festival 2011


Each spring and fall, Amy of Amy creative side blog hosts a quilt festival to coincide with Quilt Market and the Houston International Quilt show. I have entered this festival a few times, because there are so many quilts to view and its fun to meet other quilters who inspire me to keep quilting.
This year, my fall quilt offerings are two Christmas ones that I made some years ago.I have also included the beginnings of a new Christmas quilt project. The first one is a paper pieced poinsettia pattern by Eileen B. O'Sullivan that I made around 2001. My wedding flowers were poinsettias when I married 30 years ago last December- it soon will be 31. We were married the day after Christmas, which we refer to as Boxing Day here in Canada. It was the first paper pieced project that I tackled and I still love it. The original pattern was meant as a wall hanging but I used the flower as a center of the quilt and bordered it out to be a nice sized couch quilt. I have since collected more poinsettia fabrics and one day I will make another Christmas quilt with them.

The second quilt that I wanted to share is double wedding ring quilt. I made it to honor my father's mother memory- her name was Olive and she was a quilter I am told. Unfortunately none of her work remains and I never knew her because she passed away before I was born. She was 43 years old. I chose the double wedding pattern because it was a traditional pattern that she might have made- though grandmother Olive's quilt would have been made with scraps and old clothing. My version was completed about 2003 and it does not have pieced rings like the original design.She would have traced her pieces on cardboard and cut it out with scissors. My center of the rings were not fussy cut. If I were to make one again with continuous rings, I would fussy cut the centers so that I could have had central flowers in them. It was one of the first template quilts I ever made- I used an acrylic template and a rotary cutter to cut the pieces.
Now, there is a wonderful machine called an Accuquilt Go Cutter. It has dies that would make the cutting of this quilt less challenging (and probably more accurate.) Perhaps one day I will own one of those machines...
I showed this wedding ring quilt in a local guild show a number of years ago. It is one of my smaller quilts - about a twin size and it graces our couch each Christmas.


This weekend I started a new Christmas quilt. On my last post I shared the pile of fabrics I collected to make my new quilt. On Thursday night I turned those piles of fabrics into 12X18 rectangles. The next step was to use Freezer paper and trace the design on to it. Once labeled, I then cut it into the various tree pieces. Yesterday, I shuffled the trees from one group to another set of 10 fabrics ( there are 10 red, 10green and 10 cream fabrics ) Once shuffled,one begins to sew them in the order given on the Pieces of the Heart pattern by Sandy Gervais.

The pattern's name is Tree's up- Lights on! When pieced together you end up with some wonky edges. I will later square up the blocks before putting them into a quilt. It will be awhile before this quilt gets completed as I have other projects to finish first. It was like making a jigsaw puzzle and one has to pay some attention to the shuffle order and the sewing sequence. It was fun and I will look forward to getting more of the blocks finished after I complete the fall school report cards and other school work.... One has to work in order to play you know...
If you like these kind of designs you can find more them by checking some of the Buggy Barn patterns as well as other designs by Sandy Gervais. The Buggy barn has a number of seasonal ones that include pumpkins, Santas and witches. Sandy has some fun hats and shoe patterns as well as other seasonal ones..

I hope that you enjoyed seeing my Christmas quilts. Click on the link and go and visit the other quilters who are participating in the blogging show. As always, there are some real beauties shown and some wonderful stories that go along with the quilts.
Amy'sCreativeSide

Thanks for dropping by- I hope you stop by for another visit..
Warmest regards,
Anna

18 comments:

Quilting Journey said...

Gorgeous favorites. Loved the 'pow!' of those poinsettias! Thanks for all of the cheerer uppers you send my way. Fun to share with others :)

Birdydownunder said...

lovely quilts.
Would you belive 3 of those green fabrics I have in my stash and have recently been using them. Quicker but I wonder if we would get as much pleasure from making the quilt if we had a Go Gutter.
But then I do love my rotary cutter.

Purple Pam said...

Beautiful poinsetta quilt. I love your parent's quilt, the bold Irish Chain quilt.

Magical colouring said...

It's a great project !
Sure the quilt will be very beautiful, but so much work before.
I have made several quilts when I was 15. My grandmother helped me at this time. So, reading your blog reminds me good memories.
(Now, I have no more time to make quilts. Perhaps when I am a grand mother, I'll make some again with my grand children).
Valerie
http://magicalcolouring.weebly.com

Angie in SoCal said...

Wonderful quilts. Especially like your pointsettia.

CraftyGardenMom - Tanesha said...

Very nice poinsetta quilt! Thanks for sharing.

Myra said...

Lovely! Very nice! 8-)

Ozjane said...

Well done. Looks very cheery and I should be doing some Christmas sewing also.

Editfolt said...

Greetings from Hungary! I really like your Quilted. I love the color. A very interesting pattern.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful Fabrics!! Hugs, Mary

Lyanna L. said...

i love the thoughtfulness that surrounds your quilts - such great memories with them. thank you for sharing your beautiful work =)

Rachaeldaisy said...

The poinsettia quilt looks so 3D. They would have made such a wonderful wedding bouquet!! I love your wedding ring quilt. I would love to make one one day, maybe if I ever come across a accu go cutter machine. Your new project looks wonderful too!

Eileen said...

wonderful to see your beautiful work. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Eileen said...

Beautiful. Love that wedding ring with solid rings, so different and yet lovely. Love the poinsettia too. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I love doing those cut apart blocks.Always so much fun.

Kit Lang said...

Lovely quilt - thanks for sharing. :)

Teresa said...

Such pretty quilts. The poinsettias are wonderful.

Crimson Heart Studios said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was reading your profile and saw you had a Schnoodle, not sure what that is, but anything with a noodle in it has to be cute. Would love to see a picture. Thanks for joining as a follower. Cindy