Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Bloggers Festival Fall 2012 - For Mum

This quilt was made for our beloved Mum ( Betty) who turned 90 on September 28. She lived at Luther Court where they were able to provide for her needs in the  most loving and imaginative way. Mum passed away on Saturday October 27. May she rest peacefully.
Our cat Mars often likes to check out my quilts. This quilt pattern is called Sidelines by Maple Island quilts. Mum's quilt is one of a series of this pattern that I began making in August 2012. The pattern measures 60X72 inches with the borders. The fabrics in Mum's quilt are batiks and a tone on tone heart tan fabric by Sandy Gervais. Since that time I have completed 6 tops (three of them are completely finished and given to their recipients. You can read more about them in a previous post.
In this view you can see that the back is a dimpled minkee fabric that was the perfect backing for Mum's quilt. The texture is quite appealing for young and old- very soft but also very textured.
All quilts need labels and this one simply states" made with love for Elizabeth". It is dated and my maker name is on it. It is machine quilted and pieced. You can see that the textured surface did indeed appeal to her.
This quilt was made with love and this post is dedicated to best MIL a girl could have wished for- I will always miss her loving caring hands in our life.  You are missed Mum !

Amy's Creative Side Here is a link for the other people who are participating in the festival. I hope that I am not too late. I have enjoyed participating in the festival in the past. There are some fabulous quilts to be viewed and new blogging friends to meet.
I will be back soon to share the rest of the story of other quilts that belonged to my husband's parents!
I hope that you will come and visit me again soon.
Warmest regards, Anna

11 comments:

Valerie said...

I know how much your quilt meant to her Anna. Thinking of you, Bruce, Kevin and your extended family. Lots of love!

Ranch Wife said...

I am so very sorry for your Loss Anna. I hope that very soon the memories of your MIL will bring bring you a happy heart. I am certain that the pretty quilt you made for her brought her much joy. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Catherine said...

I offer my condolences on the passing of your MIL. I was very close to my mother-in-law as well. Your quilt is lovely.

Fabric Quilt Shop said...

The quilt is very lovely and I am so sorry for yur loss. I am sure you have lots of memories and these are what we always have to cherish. Keep safe and paryers are with you. HAPPY QUILTING.

Quilting Babcia said...

This is a lovely quilt and was well loved by your mum. She obviously was a very lovely and well loved lady.

Anonymous said...

Awww... What a sweet story.
You blessed her with a lovely quilt to comfort her, I am sure she loved it. I'm so sorry for your loss.

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful quilt!

Wishing you peace and healing.

Sandra said...

So sorry for your loss. what a lovely quilt and thoughtful gift. Glad it comforted her in her final days.

Come see my entry #46 Batik Tulips
applique, hand quilt, wall hanging

and #23 antique zigzag quilt

Ozjane said...

Blessings as you grieve your Mum.
Hugs & Purrs.

Barbara C said...

My condolences for the loss of your MIL, Anna. It sounds like she was well-loved. Hugs to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story; your MIL sounds like a wonderful woman. I have worked with elders with dementia in their homes and now have an Aunty with it; she lives in the same apt. as my Mum and I, so is still doing ok. It's one of the milder types. I loved your idea for an Alzheimer's Quilt.
I live in Edmonton, also, and am just getting back into sewing. My plan is to use the scraps for quilting. And then I bought some lovely FQs at the local US dept. store and I cannot bear to cut up the floral that caught my eye. I think I will be looking at a Sidelines quilt or something similar so I can showcase it. Too bad I can't find it in yardage; it would have made a gorgeous long summer skirt!
Thanks, too, for the link to Maple Island Quilts. They are now on my favourites list!! ~ Linne