Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Convergence Quilts revisited- should I begin to blog again???




 Convergence Quilts Revisited

Well it has been rather a long time since I wrote a blog post- I am not even sure that I remember how but I am going to give it a go. My friend Michele Bilyeu  wrote a post about convergence quilts and asked if she could use some photos of my quilts which I was happy to share.
 The Convergence Quilt above belonged to my in laws - a gift that I created for them for their 63 wedding anniversary. I love the borders as it was covered in Cardinals, my FIL 's favorite bird. The backing has red birds on it. After they both passed away, the quilt came to live at our home again.

In the photo you can also see my newish quilt room. You can see the wonderful cupboards and part of my fabric stash. The cupboards are fantastic and I really enjoy being able to find what I am looking for just by pulling out the roll out drawers.
 A lot has happened since I last posted in 2015. We de-cluttered and packed up our previous house and moved to a large bungalow in an area north of the city of Edmonton called St. Albert, in the fall of  2016.  We had lived in our former home for 35 years . It was in the heart of the city of Edmonton . Our old house needed lots of work and we decided we needed a different type of house.
 The old house has been torn down and there are now two houses on our former property. The house that was next door to ours is also gone!  The only thing that remains on our old property is an apple tree that we planted when our son was small.
 The new house is in a lovely wooded area and has a terrific front portico  and a fabulous sheltered pergola over the back deck that we enjoy a lot through out the year.  At present, it is very cold and snowy here, so this picture makes me miss the warmer days.
In June of 2018, I retired from teaching after 40 years. At present, I am learning how to live life as a retired person. I have taken up oil painting and am attending a weekly movement class. I am still quilting and have a few things to show you in upcoming blog posts that I have been working on- newer quilts and smaller projects - maybe a few beading things as well.  Life is good.
Warmest regards,
Anna
 

11 comments:

Orcsmom said...

It was so nice catching up with you Anna on your blog! Looking forward to your next post! Hugs!
Pam

Michele Bilyeu said...

Welcome back, Anna! I loved your story. That's so many major life changes in a relatively short time but you have handled it amazingly well and truly started a wonderful new life with family and new friends. May your renewed blogging life be a good one as well!

Bruce said...

Happy to see you back bloggiing, my love. So many changes these part 3+ years, I can testify first hand that you've been busy. A few changes in both of our lives, what?

I so love the cardinal quilt that is currently on a rack in our great room, that makes me think of my parents. It's fun to add that picture to all the ones Michele featured in her own post. The convergence quilts were always cool projects to watch from a distance as you pieced them together. I always felt the purest part of the art form was the selection of the disparate fabrics & colours that would ultimately converge.

You should blog sometime about that time you went to Rciky Tims' workshop.

quiltmom anna said...

Thanks Pam, i liked blogging but just felt i didn't know what to write about as i wasn't quilting much. I have some newer quilts now and a little more time to write🤩 Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment Pam. Hugs right back

quiltmom anna said...

Thanks Michele- i just need to link this post directly to your convergence post and I also need to get quilting as well. 😊

quiltmom anna said...

I just need to find the rhythm of writing again. I will try and find the photo of Ricky Tims. Thanks always for your continued love and support- i am truly a fortunate lady. 😍💖A

Jan Elizabeth said...

How lovely to read your words, Anna. I have a quilt of yours, the ketchup and mustard one, as Claire used to call it (it was in her room for awhile) to pass on to Jesse and Jenn. I kept waiting for the wedding which they say is coming, but who knows when that will be? I should just give it to them, do you think?
xoxo

quiltmom anna said...

Jan Elizabeth - for sure I would give it to them. That quilt is the first one that I made for your parents and it is a double irish chain quilt and was made around 2001. My parents have the mate to this quilt- theirs is black and red and white and I love it. They are both queen sized quilts. I never thought about the colors of the other one as Ketchup and mustard. Hope that they will like the quilt.

Deborah said...

What a nice surprise to read a new blog post tonight. I hope you are adapting to retirement which must be quite a change after 40 years. Stay warm. Hopefully it will warm up soon.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Welcome back to blogland. Looks like you've had a lot of positive changes since you last posted.

Irene said...

Good to see you blog again Anna. I abandoned my blog too and for some reason, stopped reading the many blogs I used to follow. Your sewing room looks wonderful and so well organized. I look forward to reading your blog again. It might even inspire me to write in mine again.