Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Seeing Stars...A Couple of August Finishes

Starlight Star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might. have the wish I wish tonight.
Last night Bruce and I went to see if we could see the Perseid Meteor Shower-unfortunately we were pretty well clouded out - we did see a couple of bright ones but mostly all we viewed was a moon that kept being wrapped in fluffy clouds and a llama who watched us from a nearby fenced in area. The night was warm and the skies not very cooperative but the conversation and time together made it a worth while adventure-

Bruce's Starlight Starbright quilt was made using a pattern called "Autumn Evening" from a book called Creative Scraps- Quilting with Bits and Pieces. The wonky stars set on point seem to float across the night sky- at least that was my intent. It was fun to collect star fabrics though..

Starlight, Starbright is a queen sized quilt that has 32 liberated stars that are set on point. I made this quilt for my husband, Bruce who is a man of the stars- his passion is astronomy and this year is the "International Year of Astronomy". He is headed today to Cyprus Hills,Saskatchewan with a friend to attend the Astronomical Society's Annual general meeting and star party.
Cyprus Hills is a really interesting part of the prairies. In my home province, Alberta, we have an area called Drumheller. It is the land of the Hoo Doos- You drive along and suddenly you will find yourself overlooking a crest of these strange grooved formations. They look like tall chef's hats with strata. The interesting topography is a tourist draw but I read recently where they are beginning to barricade a few parts and limit traffic because of damage and erosion created by the large number of visitors. Cyprus Hills is farther east and south in Saskatchewan but it reminds me of Drumheller. Drumheller was the land of the dinosaurs and there were many great finds of dinosaur bones there. There is a world renowned dinosaur museum there called "The Tyrell Museum".
The second piece
is a small piece for me- about 30 inches square or so. It is a wallhanging made from some leftover blocks of a star quilt that I made for a friend of Bruce's. I love how the center red blocks form a new star. The quilts are both labelled and will be shown as part of a display at the meeting and star party.

So I have two finishes for August so far. On my sewing table, I have completed another 40 some blocks to add to the Wonky tiles quilt. I need to turn it into a king sized quilt for its intended owners.

Do you know how big a king sized quilt actually measures???? My blog friend Pam's reply was BIG and she sure has got that right- ( Do check out her blog she is in the midst of some major renovations that are making her house gorgeous)

When I posed the king sized bed measurement question I received a number of different suggestions for the actual measurement- the largest size is 130 x 130 inches or 120 X ???. I am told it depends on the width of the mattress and how much length you want and whether you want a pillow tuck... There seems to be a number of different variables to consider..
However this girl is determined that it shall be finished so quilt on I must LOL..

This week I received a lovely package from Ryan. I wish you could smell the wonderful fragrance that comes from the sunflower candle- it is a beautiful scent. He enclosed some terrific 30's fat quarters that I am collecting to make a 30's quilt. I still haven't decided on a pattern but the collection is growing.VBS
Thank you Ryan for your generosity- your pretty package with fat quarters, pink buttons, thread and sunflower candle are very much appreciated.

A lovely lady named Toni from the land down under wrote me to say that I won a pattern from a giveaway on her blog. Thank you Toni - perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket :O) I have been very fortunate to win some very nice giveaways. Thank you


Here is what I fondly refer to as the garish quilt- I may have found a solution by using a leaf fabric - I am still debating whether to cut the quilt a part to add sections of the leaf fabric and incorporate it into the body of it. For sure I am going to use the leaf print on the outside of the quilt. Currently, I find the center too strong for most of the fabrics that I auditioned. I have no idea what I thought I was doing when I put these colors together. If the leaves don't work then perhaps I will have to think of it as my fugly quilt -

Everyone needs one of those don't they?

Originally, I had planned to make the optical illusion quilt using red and black. I started by cutting the red fabric only to find that I did not have quite enough of it. I was a little nonplussed because I don't usually run out of a specific fabric. I was not too hopeful of finding it as it is an older fabric but when my friend L. and I went out for a quilt store day, I was successful. So I can now finish another Illusion Quilt and perhaps it will work out...

After I finish the wonky tiles quilt the next projects on my list will be to add the borders of the Winding Ways Quilt and to the mate of the Trip around the world quilt.
Kim has posted some of the other people's projects and giveaways on her blog for the August Challenge. You can find Kim here. Finishing projects is indeed very satisfying...

How are your projects coming along?

Thank you for all your comments about last week's post. It is always nice to hear from other bloggers and to look at new and old blogs. I have tried to comment back on most of your blogs. I do hope that you will come and visit again.

The summer vacation is disappearing and so am I for now..

Happy quilting,

Warmest Regards,
Anna

12 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautiful quilt and beautiful place. I love that area.

paulette said...

Keep plugging away and before you know it your projects will be finished!!! Looking good!
Paulette

laura west kong said...

I just love star quilts and yours is amazing! Keep up the great work finishing all those projects.

heather said...

I love the endless variations of star quilts.

hetty said...

Love the Starlight, Starbright quilt! I am also a star gazer. Did not see any meteors last night though because of the cloudy skies. We also have too much light in our area to see the sky clearly. I am glad to hear that the 'bad lands' of Alberta are being protected from the damage that tourists can bring. We were there in the late '80s and I wondered how long this area would last with all the people who were able to walk anywhere they wanted to.

Kim D. said...

Your star quilts are beautiful. I love star blocks and have quite the collection. Hopefully in the near future I'll finish a star quilt also. Thanks for stopping by my blog, come by and visit again sometime.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Anna -- I had no idea there were hoodoos so far north. Your picture of Cyprus Hills is gorgeous! So are your star quilts!

(And haha -- my word verification is meator -- close to meteor, no?)

QuiltSue said...

Well, I was sure I posted yesterday, but apparently not. I love both the quilts you showed, and the scenery is stunning.

Barbara C said...

Hi Anna, Your star quilts are beautiful. I especially like the scrappy one. Good luck with the king sized quilt. When I first started quilting I made one: there's nothing like the optimism of a novice. I still love that quilt, but boy it was a lot of work.

I like your rust an green quilt as is. It's very striking. Maybe it doesn't even need a border.

I've had a 30s quilt in the works for a few years. Since I haven't finished it, I keep collecting fabric, thinking that maybe it's because I don't have enough fabric. Of course now I have fabric for at least 2 quilts.

Enjoy the end of vacation. I go back to work next week. It's been divine while it's lasted.

MARCIE said...

Your Starlight quilt is fabulous! I bet your hubby will love it!

Wanda said...

Yes, it's august...vacation time. I think I missed a week of blog reading! I'm sorry the meteor shower happened above the clouds but it still sounds like it was a wonderful, close time together. My first (and only) quilt is 96" X 108". I have no idea what that is but it is going to go on a queen size bed. It has been quilted by someone in the States and my dad is bringing it to me in a couple of weeks. I'm so excited to see it! It is a paperpieced log cabin pattern. No, I didn't know that paperpiecing such a huge thing wasn't normal! ha ha My mom will be picking the quilt up this week and showing it to everyone at home. I'll be the last to see it...but I get to keep it!!

Rosa Robichaud said...

Hi There!

As I'm reading your blogs and trying to get to know you and your likes, I thought I'd post this info, for you. A while back, I found these measurements and wrote them down, on a piece of paper, which I have thumbtacked to my mini bulletin board.

"Surface" (only) of bed mattresses:
Twin - 39 X 75
Double - 54 X 75
Queen - 60 X 80
King - 76 X 80

I found these measurements VERY helpful, as I can a) figure out the SURFACE of the mattress and how much "quilt design" I want on the SURFACE and then, b) add as much "drop" as I want, on the sides of each quilt.

Hope this helps!

Rosa
P.S. BTW, I am LOVING your quilts!!! *VBG*