Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Travels with Anna....

Lilies from my father's garden..
I am not sure where the summer has gone ... Well that is not quite true.. my days have been full enough with some quilting time, family time, a little cleaning and a bit of local travelling... Since I last posted, I have been away visiting my parents and getting a bit of quilting done.Over the summer, I have read a few novels that included some by Jennifer Wiener, Earlene Fowler( State Fair) and a book called the Knitting Club by Ann Hood. There is a stack sitting on my night table that include "Three Cups of Tea", The Forgotten Garden and Leaving Gee Bend..)

I finally got caught up on my blog reading until my laptop died. I am currently using my husband's machine as we contemplate our next step- the warranty on my computer has just recently run out:(

We travelled the backroads to my parents who live 100 miles south in a city called Red Deer. The city is now about 90 thousand people ,but when I grew up there, it was only around 25 thousand. We have travelled the main highway many times over the past 35 years and it does get a little boring. The traffic is a lot heavier as it is the main corridor between the two largest cities of the province (Edmonton to Calgary)This photo is not too far east from my folks- if you look close you can see the rocky formations of the river bank.
Along the road you often will find what we fondly call Nid Nods. They are oil pumps and they are a common enough site on the drive.
Alberta countryside is sometimes referred to as knob and kettle land. Some parts of the prairies are quite flat but the prairies where I was raised is quite hilly. I loved the fields of canola(rapeseed) when they are yellow and ripe. My grandparents were farmers in the Alberta foothills and their farm was much like this land.

You can see my hand in the mirror taking the photo- It is sort of Escher like (some of Escher's brilliant work happens to be showing at Alberta Gallery of Art along with Looney Tunes) This picture was a fluke but sure was interesting...

When Summer comes, it usually means that I have the opportunity to have a longer visit with my parents. I spent four days with my mom and dad. During the visit we went shopping, visited Tim Horton's for coffee and checked out the local quilt stores. The quilt store trip did not produce any great finds - perhaps just as well, with the cost of a new computer on the horizon.. We visited a family friend, Sherry, who has an old homestead house that she and her husband are renovating. She is a fabulous artist and her home is filled with her beautiful paintings and lots of antiques. The quilt on their bed is one that I made a number of years ago, called Chimneys and Cornerstones.
Her husband Brian is a fabulous woodworker. Don't you love his beautiful sleigh coffee table?

On their property is a Pretty cool antique thrashing machine..

My parents celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary while I was home. To mark the occasion, we took a few pictures of our family. I particularly liked this one of my folks.

This family photo was taken after a celebration dinner that we had to mark the occasion. Unfortunately my husband and son (as well as one niece and her husband) were not able to be there, because they were working. Pictured here are my two brothers, my sister and their partners, along with myself and my parents.

Earlier in the day, I suggested to my folks that we should go and take a photograph of them outside the church where they had been married. We arrived at 2:25 in the afternoon at the approximate time when they would have been leaving the church. They obligingly stood outside the church where they exchanged their vows 55 years earlier.


For those of you who may be wondering if I have been having any quilting adventures... Before I went to my folks, I did get three quilts spray basted so that they are now ready to quilt. My teaching partner and I went to school and used the tables there to lay them out for spraying. Next goal is to find some quilting time... I made a new couch sized convergence quilt that I am very pleased with the results. Some of my summer projects are finally coming together but I have not taken updated photos.
Over the weekend, I took a tessellation quilt workshop- I have some blocks made. We had a bit of excitement during the Friday nite session as the power went out. Quilting by candlelight was somewhat limiting so we headed home about 40 minutes early. Perhaps I should learn how to use my grandmother's treadle machine...LOL

On Saturday, we learned how to make a disappearing 4 patch pattern block. Disappearing 4 patch looks more complicated than it is and is made with charm squares. Hopefully I will get some quilting done by the end of the week and have some new photos to show you.

Next week we are off to the mountains for a few days. We are going to Jasper which is a beautiful spot. My husband is hoping for clear skies so that he can see lots of meteors during the Perseids meteor showers.. The summer is moving along too fast-
I officially return to the classroom on August 30 and there will be school things to do before that time. The time does pass all too quickly..

Happy travels and safe journeys,
Anna

21 comments:

Kim B said...

Thank you for sharing such lovely photos, looks like you have a nice time. I love your header, did you make that quilt? I am new to bloggerrette sorority, please come see me sometime :)
Kim

Jo said...

Yes, the summer does seem like it is racing past but you are clearly making the very most of very moment. What gorgeous photos of your travels and celebrations too.

I adore quilts and quilting but my own creations are extremely humble when compared to your own. So I love to read about your latest projects and to discover some of the awesome techniques you use - sooo inspiring but mysterious too.
Huge hugs
xxx

Thimbleanna said...

What an odd combination -- Escher and Looney Toons LOL! Sounds like you're having a great summer Anna. Happy Anniversary to your parents!

A Garden of Threads said...

Thank you for sharing your family, congrats to your parents. I have read The Forgotten Garden and Three Cups of Tea, both great reads.

Orcsmom said...

What a handsome family you have! I think the picture on the church steps is priceless, what a great idea! It sounds like you are having a good summer, I hope it continues for you. Take care my friend, and thank you for sharing your adventures and pictures with us! Hugs!!

Pam

QuiltSue said...

Sounds like you've had a really busy time this summer.

The photos of the scenery were lovely and what a lovely idea to take a picture of your parents outside the church.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You have been one busy lady this summer. Thanks for sharing your family photos and your reunion with us! The summer has zipped by for me, too! Looking forward to seeing your newest quilts soon.

Ozjane said...

Looking forward to mountain pictures.
I love those liliums at your parents place. Mum had orange..tiger lilies they were called then and the pink ones...which were somehow called pink tiger lilies.
Love your Dad's braces....so reminds me of my Dad.
Glad you had some dedicated quilting time. I pulled...or a friend did a lot out of my sewing room and while I have done as much as I can do until I run out of breathe....there is still a bit to go back. I must make quilts and use lots of fabric and NOT BUY ANY MORE. Says she with a Hancock's free shipping order on the way.
You can see back a couple of entries in my blog the piles of "stuff" we had to move out to find the Debbie Beaves violet fabric which the girls in my sit and sew group are going to make for my next 0 birthday in Feb. We have made two in the last two years and I was involved in getting fabric for both and could not bear them to buy fabric for me.....so it had to be found. A nice small crate of it and I probably should have sold it as it is no longer available.

Candace said...

Wow, what beautiful country, and I loved the pictures. Sorry about your laptop, I know how upsetting that is. I hope you get some quilting time, I have 3 quilts basted too. I loved the quilt you made for your friend, and it's obvious so does she. It's always nice to see one used and loved.

Rhubarb Whine said...

What lovely lillies. They are very favourite flower. Gorgeous.

SheilaC said...

What sweet photos of your parents! And 55 years.... you don't see that too often anymore.
Thank you for sharing the family pics

SHeilaC

Mary L. said...

What a wonderful trip and great pictures. Your parents look very young. Family events are the best!

Birgit said...

Hello Anna,

It looks like you have had a great summer so far. It was great to travel with you and meet your folks. :)

Thanks again for the purple bracelet I won in the One World One Heart event. I so love it and always think of you fondly. :)

Take good care!

Hugs,
Birgit

Pam said...

That is a pretty cool thrashing machine!! Very nice family photo! Happy Anniversary to your parents.

Have a great trip to Jasper.

Dar said...

It's amazing how quickly a summer goes with all of the activities, family outings, and just plain day to day life. You have been a busy gal. I love the quilt you did. It's beautiful and reminds me of one my mother has on her bed with the similar colors.
Hang onto those memories of your folks. My folks would have had their 60th when my Dad passed away suddenly a few months prior. It sure puts life into prospective.
Thanks for taking us along.
BlessYourHeart

Pat said...

Enjoyed seeing your travel photos - now I know what the beautiful yellow haze is on the rolling hills. We will soon see them up close and personal!
Looking forward to your convergence quilt too...Ricky Tims book is on my shelf calling out...
Have a good week and thanks for sharing.

Meggie said...

Hi Anna, really enjoyed this lovely post. Congratulations to your parents, & how lovely you could celebrate together.
We are watching Winter pass, with some slowness, I might add! You are having your Summer pass too rapidly, no doubt!
HugsXX

Unknown said...

You sound like you have had some happy times! Really nice to meet you, and read your blog too. I used to live in Nova Scotia as a child, it is a vast and beautiful country. I would love to do more quilting and patchwork, but I am very basic I am afraid! Thank you so much for your lovely warmth and kindness over at my blog, it really helped me a lot. My posts are usually quite cheerful.. honest! SO do pop back some time! Susie xxx

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

How wonderful to have your brothers and sister and you there to help celebrate your parents' anniversary. It is hard to get the family all together these days.

Barbara C said...

Hi Anna,
Thanks for sharing photos of your trip home. It's very special that your family was able to celebrate your parents' anniversary with them.

Enjoy the last days of summer vacation. I'm back to school on Monday. The days do go by quickly.

Rhondi said...

Hi Anna
It looks like youhad a wonderful trip. Tis summer has gone by all too fast. The kids here start school this week. I hope you enjoy your last couple of weeks of holiday.
Say hi to Gail when you see her.
Hugs, Rhondi