Monday, August 22, 2011

August has flown by...

This summer has been one full summer ..The end of July was so hectic with our travels to British Columbia followed by our son and his girlfriend getting moved across country. Once they were on their way, I was sure things would slow down but that has not been true at all.
I went to visit my parents for a week and we had a busy time together. When I returned, Bruce brought home these red gladiolis. They are such an interesting flower and start opening from the lower part of the stem. We had some white with pink tipped ones earlier- They often are available in August and September and you grow them from a bulb. One of the things that I got accomplished while at my parents, was to square up these blocks that are a tesselating block.More about that later...
During my visit to my parents,my mother, a good friend named Sherry, and myself, went off to a little town in central Alberta called Olds.

This quilt pattern came from a general store called "Craigs". It reminded me of the old Kresge's or Fields Store, with a little bit of this and that, including fabric and patterns. I really liked this quilt pattern - especially because it has directions for more than one bed size in it. Craigs had the whole line of the Stonehenge fabrics that have recently come out. Stonehenge fabrics would look lovely made up into this quilt. However, I would like to make it out of batiks.

Olds also has a lovely quilt store called "The Quilting Bee". The staff were warm and welcoming. They had some lovely fabrics too. It is one of those places, that if you lived in the area, you would frequent it often.

I rarely buy pre cut fabrics, but I loved the color combo of these Tonga coffee cake. I have an idea in mind for them and found the two of them for a good price, on line early in the summer.I had hoped to use the star pattern but found that the strips are not large enough(they are jelly roll width) so I will have to find a different pattern to use with them.
You may remember seeing the 10 minute block pattern-( if not google it and there is a great "you tube" video produced by Missouri Star Quilt Co)
I thought I might try this multicolored batik fabric with the different batik layer cake squares. I am not sure if I am going to like the 10 inch squares, or would be happier using 5 inch charm squares with it. As I have yardage of the black multicolored fabric, I have only cut a few black squares to test it out. This is not my usual way- more often, I just start cutting blocks and then sew stacks of blocks together....

We live in a city that has a great number of festivals over the summer.
There are a variety of music festivals including a terrific folk festival.
For the past 10 days the 30th annual Fringe theatre festival was happening. This year, they had the best attendance ever. We had not been to Fringe for a number of years, but we saw a review of an Emily Carr one woman play and decided to take it in.

Part of the festival grounds, has a number of local artisans selling their work. I bought this beautiful bracelet from a young woman who happens to be a teacher as well. She makes all her own glass beads and uses pewter, silver and crystals between them. This one has gorgeous neutrals in it and it was a special treat for me. It is always nice to be able to support local artisans.

Here a couple of play bills of the shows that we attended. We enjoyed both of the plays- the weather was warm and the venues inviting- There is lots of outdoor shows that pass the hat after the performance. We saw a guy get himself in and out of a straight jacket and chains..

So here you can see what the tesselating block looks like put together- I made exactly 72 blocks and arranged it 8X9.Once together, I went looking for border fabrics. My first instinct was to use a plain black, but I didn't like how I looked.

I have not yet added this border but I think this will be the border fabrics for the quilt.
Bruce and I have had a number of opportunities to get out together. We went to a professional soccer game and had lunch out with my aunt and uncle last week. On Sunday, we visited the art gallery to see the closing of a large Andy Warhol exhibit. The exhibit had many of warhol's film clips as well as some of his famous hair pieces. I particularly liked the screen print images of Jacqueline Kennedy. He is not my favorite artist, but it was fun to broaden my horizons too. One of my quilting friends Carolyn joined us, and we were pleased to have her with us.
This last week of holidays, I have a few social engagements as well as some time at school. Today was spent beginning to set up the classroom for September. A big Thank you goes to my partner in the classroom, Peggy, for all her assistance today. Tomorrow some time with my dear friend Lou- we will try not to get into too much trouble in the quilt shops.
Wednesday I am off to see "The Help" with another good friend Val.(I loved the book so I am looking forward to seeing the movie.) Thursday I have an all day seminar and Friday is another opportunity to connect with a friend at lunch followed by visiting a new baby. Life is full and rich.... It is not always easy to get quilting/ blogging done but this summer I have done both while enjoying some great times with family and friends.
Next week I return to the classroom...I best start changing my bedtime ..
Hope you are enjoying the last days of summer..
Regards,
Anna

10 comments:

QuiltSue said...

Woww you have been busy. I love your tesselating quilt. Now it's back to work for a rest I should think.

Scrappy quilter said...

You have been busy. I now live south of you so hopefully one day in our travels we might get to meet. I'm loving AB living. I really like your tesselating quilt. They are offering a class come Sept. here at the quilting store. I'm not if I'll take it or not, have so many other things on the go. Hope the school year is a great one. Hugs

Wacky Woman said...

I love that quilt. Aren't batiks wonderful. I have one that seems to be going on and on and on.

Deborah said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to my home town. Craig's and The Quilting Bee are two places I go to frequently. Craig's is over 100 years old so has been in Olds a very long time.

Dar said...

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you've been busy.
I love quilts but have not made one in years and years...hmm
I get my eye candy here with each visit. Thanks for sharing your expertise.
And thanks for stopping by earlier. The young couple who were in the accident were my nephew, wife and daughter. They are doing alright. John's legs were pinched by the dashboard but he got free trying to get his daughter out of the car. Thank God for looking after them.
Have a wonderful week yet, before school starts up again. You continue to amaze me. It seems odd but true, that, the busier we are, the more we accomplish. I put up 15 half pints of Black Cherry Jelly/Jam with that bucket of cherries and is it ever the best tasting. It didn't need much sugar as the cherries were on the sweet side.
Thanks again for stopping and
BlessYourHeart

Libby said...

Sounds like you have had a very full and busy summer. I just love those glass beads - a perfect treat *s*

Purple Pam said...

I agree with you. Summer is almost over and where did it go? I like your Tonga fabrics. I like your tesselating quilt, too. I want to make one of those. It is on my "To Do" list (along with many others). Have a good start for the new school year.

Meggie said...

Lovely post Anna. I really like the tessalating quilt too- very pretty. what a busy time you have had, and it is always fun to see and do new things.

Barbara C said...

Hi Anna, your summer has been busy indeed. Your quilt is beautiful--I love the florals. I'm going to google that 10-minute quilt block. Easy blocks are very appealing these days.

Irene said...

Sounds like you have had a busy, but lovely summer. Your quilt is gorgeous and I love your bracelet too.

I saw The Help on Thursday and loved it. It's one of the few movies that I've seen that I enjoyed as much as the book. Hope you enjoyed it too!