Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fall is coming

Life has been a bit of a blur in the later part of August. My father is a wonderful gardener and on our last visit home I took this photo of his front flower garden. He has some beautiful verbena,phlox, snapdragons, portulaca and petunias growing in the front flower bed. This years flowers are particularly lovely. Recently I scanned some of my older quilts into my computer. In the coming weeks, I plan to share some of them. This golden leaves is one of my favorite quilts that I have made on my 15 year old quilting journey. The pattern was taken from an older issue of the Australian Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I made it in 2002. It is made with template pieces and it can be found gracing our living room in the autumn.

It is a large quilt- queensized and has a maple leaf border that I added to the original design. The photograph below was taken in my grandmother's house- she has since passed away- It will be 8 years that she has been gone on the 10 of September. How she loved my quilts... and how I loved her...

The prairies are a beautiful place to live- One of the most striking characteristics is the huge big sky- On a clear day you can see for miles. The crops are starting to turn golden and they are a stunning contrast against the blue.Those large bales weigh about 1500lbs.

Over the summer, a friend's daughter gave birth to this beautiful baby boy, Sam. He sure looks cosy in this baby wrap.I loved the Golden Books fabric and thought it would be a great choice for the wrap.

One of the things every quilt should have is a label- Here is the one that is on the back of my father's nature quilt. I named it " Over the hills and through the woods". The fabric was the perfect backdrop for a label.

And finally this quilt graces a bed in my parent's house. I was very pleased the way the quilt quilted up. It is more densely quilted than some of my quilts. I tried to outline all the animals as well as adding clouds and waves in the background.

Just a bit closer look at the animals in the wild..

School has begun and this weekend I have been doing some school work and projects related to school. I sewed up 4 clothing bags for my students. A few years ago I made 25 cloth sacks for my students to store their belongings neatly on the coat hooks. I have more than 25 students right now( 27) so I needed some bags repaired as well as a few additional ones. I just have to add the cording around the top and we will have enough bags to start off the year.

This upcoming week my quilting group begins again. I would like to finish the top of the tesselation quilt tomorrow(see previous post for a look at the tesselation quilt). Monday is a holiday here in Canada called Labour Day. My current plan for the holiday is to do a little school work in the morning and then get quilting. The weather is pleasant and September will be full. One has to take the time to quilt when one can.

Wishing one and all some good quilting time,
Regards,
Anna


6 comments:

Libby said...

What a wonderful show and tell - some of my favorite things, flowers and quilts *s*
I'm sure fall is coming to you soon. It is coming here also, not in the same way - but I have noticed a few trees turning. Not because of weather changes but because they must follow the calendar, too *lol*

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful quilts Ms. Anna. Isn't fall fun with the promise of a new school year? I hope it's a good one for you and all of your students!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I'm so glad Fall is on it's way. I love it so. My grammy use to love portulaca. Made me smile to see that.
How fantasticly wonderful are you to make such lovely things for your students! My nieces and nephew you would love you!
xx, shell

Michele Bilyeu said...

Beautiful flowers, quilts, people, and babies. And so many lovely sentiments to start out my day. Thank you, Anna. Always a delight to visit here.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Your flowers amaze me, Anna! My EVIL squirrels have munched all of mine into a distant memory. The quilts and baby-wrapper are lovely (as is handsome Sam!). Congrats on your Quilt Album win; you'll have to tell us all about it.

Purple Pam said...

Your quilts are beautiful, Anna. Such a darling wrap around a darling baby. Your dad's garden is fabulously colorful.