Sunday, May 20, 2012

Blogger Festival May 2012

In the beginning, I had an idea that I would like to use two sets of layer cakes to create a quilt for a very special young lady fondly known as E. She is my god daughter and was celebrating a significant birthday. Unfortunately the quilt took a little longer than I planned, so for the day of her birthday she received only the top completed. The pattern is a ten minute block by Suzanne McNeill. The blocks do go together quite quickly. If you google the ten minute block, you will find an excellent set of instructions on You tube by the designer.
Mars the cat often likes to check out my quilts and this quilt was no different. She fits so cosily in one part of the circle shaped sections. The pattern looks more complex than it was to make. It is a very neat technique.
Here we are ( E and I) wrapped up in her completed quilt a few months later. I was very happy with the border fabric that I found in my stash. The border fabric was also part of the center of each of the blocks and was also a batik fabric. One of the biggest challenges was quilting it. Each block is around 20 inches in measurement so that meant there was large areas to be quilted. I have done a fair amount of free motion quilting but I had not done designs that were specific in shape.
The quilt measures about a large double sized quilt. Here it is laying on a queen sized bed so you can see it covers the top but does not have much drop around the ends of the bed. There is another quilt under E.'s quilt.
This close up shows the detailed flowers that I created in each of the quarter blocks. My original idea was to use a variegated thread but I had significant trouble with thread breakage. I tried different needles and adjusting my tension but I could not find a way to create the free motion flowers so I went back to using invisible thread. The machine and I then started to get along. I am quite pleased with my first attempt at a stylized free motion design. I did not stencil the design in- I just drew it with the machine needle and thread so the individual flowers are not exactly the same..
Amy's Creative Side Link to blog festival I have enjoyed participating in Amy's Blogging Festival in the past. If you click on the gadget on the right hand top of the page it will link you with the rest of the festival. I hope that you will get a chance to visit the many quilts in this virtual show. There are always spectacular quilts to be seen and enjoyed. I know that I come away feeling inspired by the many talented quilters from around the globe. Thanks for dropping by.. Warmest regards from Western Canada, Anna

12 comments:

Cathy Tomm said...

the quilt looks great. I love the quilting you did. I am sure she will loves the quilt.

CitricSugar said...

Regards from Saskatoon!

Lovely! Interesting block for sure. Plus, cats only choose to sleep on quality things. :-)

QuiltSue said...

That is so pretty. I bet your god-daughter loves it almost as much as mars the cat does!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I've really enjoyed reading about your beautiful quilt! I've seen the 10 minute block and would love to try it one day, it looks so clever. Your quilted flowers are beautiful and such a great idea!!! How cute is the photo of your cat curled up on it, and love the photo of you and E.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Oh how pretty! I'm betting E will treasure it for years! Such pretty variation in the fabrics you chose and I love your quilted flowers!

Lesley said...

Receiving a quilt for ones birthday is a really big deal and an honor, how lucky is your god daughter.
I wasn't blessed with patience and so I just sew little felt ornaments, toys, sew ipad covers and cell phone covers out of felt or quilted.
I actually cut up an old bird feed bag with a picture of a foul on it and made a cell phone cover for my mom's Tracfone SVC phone for seniors, with the big keys and letters on the screen, so she doesn't need her reading glasses.
I am now looking for large old coffee bags that I can make big cushion covers from, but just adding a bit of brightly colored island fabric to it for my outside chairs.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This is such a pretty quilt. I would love to try something like this. Thanks so much for sharing it with the Festival!

Teresa said...

Quilt and quilting look great. I know your God-daughter will cherish if for many years to come.

Dar said...

You, my dear, are a true quilting artist. What a wonderful gift that your goddaughter will treasure for her lifetime.
BlessYourHearts

Brenda said...

Hi, I just awarded you the LIEBSTER AWARD for new-is bloggers. Check out my blog and please accept!!
http://jakoblaylaruby.blogspot.com/2012/06/i-just-received-liebster-award-from-one.html

Ozjane said...

Wow! I am in awe of people finishing things at the moment.
I love that one. and it looks great on the bed.
I have been a slack Google Reader and must stop playing games.

sri said...

This means that you need to keep the shift in center of gravity in mind when you change lanes and turn corners.Truck Chrome stacks