Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Remembering Moe and his quilt

Our family's heart is broken-
This is my Uncle Moe - Yesterday on March 4- he left us after battling with Cancer for the past 8 months. Moe had just celebrated his 74th birthday. He was a big man with a big heart and a big laugh. If I close my eyes,I can hear his big rumbling laugh that  so reminded me of my beloved grandfather, Henry.  The photo above is a few years ago when I had the privilege of going to lunch with my parents, and two of my uncles and one aunt. Moe always had that cookie duster mustache, twinkle in his eye and that big smile that lit up his face. He was my mom's younger brother, who loved to tease and joke and have a good time. Moe enjoyed playing his guitar and a lovely voice- He was always willing to sing around the fire at camp out. Uncle Moe lived in the mountains for many years of his life- but he had deep prairie roots. 


The photo on the left, is of my two uncles together ( Uncle Gary and Uncle Moe.) The one above is of my Mama, Dolores, with her beloved Mini Moe. .These photos were taken at a celebration honoring the 100th anniversary of the completion of New Hill School.in 2012.  My great grandfather Nels was responsible for building a one room school  in the farming community where  my mother and her  siblings grew up. As in most farming communities, there were many connections to all who lived there. My mother Dolores is the matriarch of her clan. My grandfather had 2 brothers and a sister. The 3 brothers ( my grandpa and his two brothers) all raised their children in the same farming community so, while my mother had only 3 siblings, in reality, she had many more, because her cousins were all like siblings. To this day, they maintain close connections with one another. My heart mourns with all this family too.
 As a quilter, I have enjoyed making quilts for my family. This quilt is my Uncle Moe's quilt. It was a BQ pattern called Sideliners .
I entitled his quilt " Man from the Prairies- even though he spent the later part of his life in the interior part of British Columbia.
The corner blocks of sheaves of grain.
When I think of him, I am flooded with memories from my childhood. He was always generous to others. My brother and I went to visit him once when I was still in university.   Gene( my brother) and his wife Kris have spent many summers going to spend time with Uncle Moe. My uncle was a great mentor and supporter of my brother and they had a very special connection right until the end.
   My uncle gave me a great gift these past two years , He brought my parents up to visit us in our St. Albert house. It is a most treasured gift.The first visit was when I was sick in the fall of 2017 and home recovering from gall bladder surgery.  Uncle Moe was out visiting for the third time that summer and we had not had the opportunity to visit.  I was thrilled to have him come and see our home and meet our pets . He loves cats and our son and his wife have 5 of them so that was an added bonus for him :)
He returned with my parents in July  2018 and these photos are from that day.. He, my parents and one of cousins ( Stan and his wife Doreen) had an afternoon of visiting and family time. We had so hoped to have another visit this summer but that was not to be unfortunately.
I had spoken to him on the phone  a couple of times in the past few months .My family- (particularly my Mom, my auntie Janet and my brother , Gene and his wife, Kris and other cousins) had frequent phone contact with him in his last days. Some family had visited him last week while he was in hospice care.  He was blessed with very good friends who supported and cared for him in his last months.
 This  photo of our last hug and kiss goodbye is filled with the joy that I felt having time with him. It is a very treasured memory indeed. There are many more stories and vignettes that I could tell ... of play houses built on the farm and other tales ...
The pain in our hearts is great and we mourn his exuberance and zest for life. Rest easy dear Uncle - You were well loved and will be greatly missed.. Much love , Anna Me....

3 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

Oh, dear Anna! I am so very sorry for all of your loss of this wonderful and very loved man.

What a gift he was to all of you and what a memory to add to your collection that he was able to visit all of you (and the cats!) in your lovely new home.

He truly is a part of the fabric of your life, all of your lives, and I know the pain of loss will ease in time but the love and memories will only continue to grow in magnitude. It's just so sad and takes its time to ease.

Blessings to you and yours.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I am so sorry for your loss. From his picture, he does look like he was a great man to be around.

logistics service in india said...

Delhi-based om logistics Logistics is a leading provider of international and domestic logistics, shipping and freight forwarding services. logistics companies in india
logistics service