Tuesday, November 4, 2008

To Honor Dad




Today is a day of Remembrance for our family- it is the anniversary of my father in law's passing. It does not seem possible that it is a year ago today. My father in law, Sherburne, was a wonderful man- a loving husband to my mother in law Betty for 63 years, a devoted father to five children, four in law children and 9 grandchildren and a passionate educator. He loved music,sports and politics and would have been glued to the television waiting with baited breath for the results, of the American election. He was like a second father to me for nearly 30 years of my life and I miss his zest for life. Only a few days before he died, he went to a Halloween party and dressed up in a grass skirt so that my mother in law would wear a Halloween Hat..

Dad made many contributions to make this world a better place. Among them, he helped develop a wonderful music program at a local college and spearheaded a festival for Bach's 300 anniversary called TriBach.

I love the photo of my inlaws together in front of the photo quilt that I made for them for their 60th anniversary. I used a pattern called "Delectable Log Cabin" from one of Evelyn Sloppy's books "Log Cabin Fever". In the center is a photo of my in laws at the time of their marriage and their four children with their families in each of the triangles. In the center block at the top, is a photo of their son David who died in a car accident in 1975. I had the quilt embroidered by another quilter, as I do not have an embroider machine. This quilt now hangs in my mother in laws room. I like to think it helps her remember her loved ones.



The second quilt was made for my inlaws for their 63rd anniversary. It is a Convergence quilt(a Ricky Timms technique) and has my father in laws favorite birds- Cardinals. He was a dedicated St.Louis Cardinal Fan since the early '40s when he watch Stan Musial play ball. The convergence quilt was intended to be a large cuddle quilt for an afternoon nap but they used it to cover the top of the double bed. I really like making the convergence designs and have used this pattern for a half a dozen cuddle quilts. One of them is in the picture on my profile.

One day I would like to make some of Ricky's more complicated designs- I love his medallion designs and have his Rhapsody Quilt book that I enjoy looking through from time to time. I have pieced a Kaleidoscope quilt using his technique - I just need to quilt it. It is a wall hanging size but somehow keeps getting put on the back burner- hopefully soon.

Today I celebrate the life of a man who contributed much to all who knew him. We miss you Dad.

8 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

Sounds like he left and great legacy. Looks like he was a very happy guy!

Barbara C said...

What a lovely tribute to your father-in-law. He sounds like a real sweetheart. Your quilts are beautiful. Your wallhanging is especially precious.

Pam said...

That was a lovely post about your Father in Law. He looks like a kind and gentle man in the the photo. How great that they had so many years of a loving marriage.

meggie said...

Lovely tribute Anna.
Your quilts are just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely tribute. Really lovely.

Ozjane said...

What a precious photo to have of a special man. It is lovely when we find 'inlaws' we can love.
I loved my ex's Dad and I think I was the only one in the extended family to do so......but I had no history and he was always lovely to me.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have never seen such a large convergence quilt. That must have been a task to slice.

lhorwood1 said...

"What a lovely tribute to your father-in-law. He sounds like a real sweetheart." He was!!! Very kind and gentle and always making you feel special. I miss him, but it gives me comfort to know the rest of my family is missing him and remembering him in their own special ways too. Your quilts are beautiful Anna, and so are you. :D