Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Traditional Quilt

Tomorrow is the first day of December and the Christmas season will soon be in full swing. Here in Alberta, the snow has not yet arrived, but the spruce, fir and pine trees to be decorated are out in the tree lots. The weather has been mild and pleasant. Without the snow, it does not feel quite right that I should be thinking about Christmas. However, I am beginning to think about decorating my house for Christmas. ,Perhaps today I will ask my son to bring up the Christmas village and the Christmas stain glass for the dining room window. At school, we are busy preparing for the school Christmas concert and making decorations for this event. All these things tell me that Christmas is coming all too quickly- I need to start getting some more family Christmas shopping done.

This quilt was made around 2000 and is a double Irish chain. It is owned by inlaws who would have celebrated their wedding anniversary on the
8th of December. They would have been married 65 years this year. For some reason,this quilt does not photograph well- the colors are not quite right- The base is a beautiful burgandy color and the Irish Chain has bird fabric with gold and a lovely leaf green. I learned some interesting lessons trying to make the outside border continuous. It took a little finagling to get the corners ending up joined properly.


My parents have a ,design mate to this quilt. It is black and red, with a big rose print, and has a very different feel(more artsy somehow) even though it is the same traditional design as this quilt. My inlaws quilt looks more traditional than my parents. I am still working on a way to get my print photos into digital format-so it may be awhile before you see their quilt. I often have made more than one quilt of the same design- It appears, that I have a hard time creating only color palette so I often end up with two or three quilts of the same pattern.:D)

This week in the mail I was fortunate to receive a giveaway prize from Michelle at Tales from the Raspberry Rabbits. In the box, there were two lovely quilted tree decorations- a stocking, and tree, as well as a beautiful Christmas stocking. There was a nice cup of raspberry tea and piece of Ghiaradelli chocolate to eat. Thank you Michelle for your lovely gift. Do check out Michelle's blog-
http://theraspberryrabbits.blogspot.com/ She is one talented lady.

My husband and some friends have gone looking for some meteorites- Last week, a large fireball was seen here on the prairies and some of the meteorites have been located. We think quilting takes us on interesting adventures.... but I can see that having a hobby may take one to many different places and introduces you to many wonderful people..
I hope you are having some good weather and fun times as you prepare for the Holiday season..

Happy Quilting,
Anna

9 comments:

Wanda said...

Even if the colors are quite right, it is a beautiful quilt. And such a great thing...both sets of parents having the same patterned quilt but very different look and feel. Probably quite alot like the owners themselves. I like how it all goes together. Your hubby sounds like he enjoys a unique and fun interest. I'm sure the two of you have a great mix of friendships!

Sara said...

Hi - just gave you an award - you'll find it on my blog...

quiltmom anna said...

HI Sarah,
Thanks for Kreative blogger award- I will try and post it on the blog in the next few days. It was a really nice thing to do.
Regards,
Anna

Micki said...

It's a beautiful quilt Anna! I am busy with my move, but enjoyed stopping by and reading your posts. I am tagging you after my friend Dzintra tagged me.
Micki

raining sheep said...

The quilt is beautiful. Sometimes, when something has a lot of pattern, the best way to photograph it is to take a snapshot of a portion of it close up from a few angles; it will really showcase your color and even though we won't see the whole quilt, it will give the viewer a good concept because the pattern will really show up. I think the snow is coming today; we had snow by my house (I live on a very high hill in Calgary - one of the highest points in the city) and it is getting colder today. We just might have snow for Christmas.

meggie said...

It seems so strange to think of you all suffering the cold, & seeing snow, while we swelter in humid heat!!
It does make for the celebratory meals in Christams day, to tend towards the cool of salads, & lighter food.
Plus, quilty thoughts are out!!

Kim said...

I have yet to be able to photograph fabric and have it look like the actual color. Perhaps we should study photography so we learn the secret to that success? These quilts are very special for your family and will be loved and admired for a very long time. The holiday preparations here at Stillmeadow are stalled until at least Monday. We do have an artificial tree with lights on it. Wonderful how one little thing can add so much when those lights glow. Goes to show me that less is more! Enjoy your holiday preparations and the happy heart of giving.

Maggi said...

What a lovely warm looking quilt. I don't think it matters working several quilts of the same design as different colourways makes them look so different anyway

YankeeQuilter said...

The meteorite was reported in the news here. Must have been a real sight! Good luck with the Christmas decorating...