Saturday, October 4, 2008

Do you have a Helper?



Mars asleep on a whirling pinwheel quilt made around 2004

I have a feline helper named Mars that has had a couple of adventures in the last few weeks. She can often be found laying in my fabric piles, or sleeping on my chair in the sewing room. When ever I am busy making a quilt, Mars is definitely around checking out the blocks, new flimsie or finished quilt. Sometimes, Mars will visit me when I am cutting strips or,if she is feeling even more adventurous, when I am stitching on the machine. The needle moving up and down draws Mars like a moth to a flame. She loves to stir up the blocks if I have arranged them on the floor (my little house does not have a good space for a design wall). Have you ever tried to distract a determined cat?

My favorite picture of her is posted on my header with three of my quilts: the Golden Leaf quilt, the brown back of a bargello quilt and a mystery quilt named Bear in a Cabin. The golden Leaf quilt is from an Australian Patchwork and Quilting( 2001-2002) Magazine and the Mystery Quilt I believe, was a pattern taken from McCalls in 1999.

This week we took her to the Vet's as she had a leaky red half closed eye. Mars does not like riding in the car so this was not to be a relaxing trip. She meows loudly throughout to indicate her displeasure. Fortunately the eye problem is not serious, and, after a return trip in the car, a couple of serious attempts to hide and a hundred dollar bill she is safely home. Giving her eye drops is a bit of an adventure; but manageable... We are not sure what caused her eye problem.

Mars is an indoor cat but lately she has taken to trying to sneak out of the house. One evening, I went to see where she was at,at bedtime. I could not find her in the house so I attempted to call her-(unlike dogs, cats can be counted on not to respond to being called VBG) What was I thinking??? However,I opened the front door and in Mars pranced- which was fortunate for her, because it gets plenty cool here on an September night. A couple of nights later, Mars managed to sneak out again but for some reason, she meowed to let us know she was on the wrong side of the door. Thankfully she has stopped trying to having her nightly adventures and her eye is looking much better. I am sure she will find other ways to be entertaining- Mars always does!

I know when the sewing machine is out and the blocks are being made- my helper will return. Glad to see your feeling better, Mars.
Do you have a helper?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I do, I have 2 helpers! They are named Rolo and Beanie. Rolo looks similar to Mars, but weight 22 pounds. Beanie is black and weighs 9. We know this for sure as this week they also went to the vet. They also announce their displeasure in the car by meowing loudly. They both love to help me in my studio, usually by laying right next to my sewing machine while I am sewing or rearrange a layout of a large quilt I have sprawled out on my floor. I love them though and sometimes they are right on the change in the layout!

Cathi said...

I have two helpers -- Lester & Smudge. Smudge likes to bite fabric (and he's not picky -- the hem of anything will do if there's no quilty-type stuff available) and Lester just likes to plant a big paw on whatever I'm working on. :-)

meggie said...

My helpers are canines! Leo doesn't help, but he likes to walk on the layout on the floor- which is my 'design wall' haha.
Honey loves new quilts, & always offeres to 'test drive' them.

Karen said...

I also have two helpers. After a few years without any pets, I am very glad to have them.

Barbara C said...

I'm glad to hear Mars is better. A sick kitty is hard on the heart and on the wallet. We've compared orange cat notes in the past, so you know about Louie. He has three (non-orange) sisters, but only one is as interested as he is in "helping."

Is Mars very vocal? Louie likes to "talk," and can be quite chatty, especially when he wants to eat. I wonder if it's a trait of oranges.

Sara said...

I do have a helper - Killian, my cat. He likes to be in the recliner that sits next to my sewing corner. Also, he likes to climb up on my sewing center to jump on the window sill. He's a little love.

The Golden Leaf quilt is stunning!!!

Sara said...

Meant to say that I hope Mars heals up quickly. Killian loves to try and sneak out of my apartment door - then runs like the devil down the hall as fast as he can.

When I lived in a house - he would go to the door and scratch on it to go out into the backyard. It was fenced and he would walk all around the fence and would come in when I called him. I think he lived with the dogs too long - and picked up their tricks.

Pam said...

I do love the header as well with Mars sitting on your quilts - looking like - "Ya - I'm here and you're Problem is???" Such a cat attitude.

Good to hear all is well with Mars. Our dog Tasha was quite the quilt helper as well - always thinking that whatever quilt project laying on the ground was just for her to lie down on.

Winona said...

Anna, I just found your blog tonight and I really have enjoyed it. I went back to your beginning and read it all. (grin) I have 2 helpers. Aeris only 'helps' if I lay things out on our bed (my design wall), but Callie is wherever I am. She thinks my cutting board is hers. She lays behind the sewing machine and bats at the strips as they come through. She lays on any fabric I lay out. Yep, cats and quilts just go together. I'm so glad you decided to blog. I will continue to check in.
Winona

Kim said...

You know all about my helpers. Glad Mars is seeing clearly through two eyes by now. Perhaps a bug bit her? She could be sister to my Simon. :) Schuster is on the mend. Whew! Love the photo of Mars and quilts in your blog header. Gotta love those cats, huh?

Mama Spark said...

I have 5 helpers! They are great. All of them go outside and love to "help" when I am sewing. Last night I had one on my lap at one time or another all night.

Ozjane said...

I think the best quilters have furry quilt police.
Ones that forget their dignity very quickly when they see a quilt laid out on the floor or the table and delight to have a little dance on it ...the moment your back is turned.
My quilt that is driving me nuts at the moment....I think I actually have it level, but a friend and I laid it on the floor so as not to disturb the floral arrangement on the table...lol and I walked away, came back and beautifully straight fabric was gloriously rumpled.
Speaking of helpers ..I heard a wire security door rattle and crept out to see Moggie girl half way up to the top. I bet there is a moth somewhere.
Like Mars, she hates the car.